The Google Women Techmakers Scholarship, formerly known as the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship, stands as a tribute to Dr. Anita Borg, a pioneering figure in the tech industry. Established by Google, this scholarship aims to bridge the gender gap in technology by supporting and encouraging women to pursue careers in technical fields.
In Memoriam: Dr. Anita Borg
The Women Techmakers Scholarship is a testament to the memory of Dr. Anita Borg, a technology maverick who dedicated her life to advancing the role of women in the tech industry. Google initiated this scholarship to honor her legacy and contribute to fostering gender equality in technology. It particularly emphasizes cultivating leadership among women in technical fields, providing opportunities at the Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Ph.D. levels.
Originally named the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship, this program underwent a transition to become the Women Techmakers Scholarship. This shift signifies an expanded commitment by Google to empower women in technology and build on Dr. Borg’s vision for a more inclusive tech landscape.
Inclusivity Across Programs
The Women Techmakers Scholarship manifests itself in different programs catering to diverse regions and fields within technology. Noteworthy programs include the Women Techmakers Scholarship for Computer Science (EMEA, APAC, and NA), Women Techmakers Scholarship for Gaming (EMEA and NA), and the Women Techmakers Irish University Scholarship specific to Ireland.
Google Women Techmakers Scholarship Programs
1. Women Techmakers Scholarship for Computer Science (EMEA, APAC, and NA)
This program is designed for women enrolled in certified colleges and universities, focusing on computer science and related technical disciplines. Eligibility criteria encompass excellent technical skills, academic achievements, full-time enrollment, and recent graduation.
2. Women Techmakers Scholarship for Gaming (EMEA and NA)
In collaboration with Stadia, Google’s gaming platform, this scholarship targets individuals in the Middle East, Europe, and Asia. Applicants should be pursuing programs related to informatics, video game programming, computer science, computer engineering, game design, or other game-related fields. Strong academic records, leadership qualities, and a passion for increasing female participation in technology are essential.
3. Women Techmakers Irish University Scholarship (Ireland)
Exclusive to Ireland, this scholarship encourages Irish women to embrace technical roles. Eligible candidates should exhibit excellent academic records, be enrolled in the first or second year of an undergraduate program at a certified Irish college or university, and have an interest in computer engineering, computer science, or related tech subjects.
Benefits of Women Techmakers Scholarship
The Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program provides several benefits to female students:
- Financial Support: Each scholarship award provides financial support for tuition fees, textbooks, and other educational expenses, up to €7,000.
- Mentorship Opportunities: The program provides mentorship opportunities, helping students to grow in their field.
- Community: The program creates a sense of community among female tech students.
- Visibility and Resources: Google’s Women Techmakers program provides visibility, community, and resources for women in technology.
- Leadership Development: The program encourages women to excel in leadership roles in technical fields.
- Empowerment: The awards aim to support women interested in beginning a tech career, help those already working in the industry stay in the field, continue to grow, and successfully climb the corporate ladder⁵.
For more details, you can visit the official Google’s Women Techmakers Program page.
The eligibility criteria for the Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program and the Generation Google Scholarship: for women in computer science are as follows:
- Enrollment: Applicants must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in a Bachelors program at an accredited university or college for the current academic year and intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelors program at an accredited university in Europe, Middle East or Africa for the next academic year.
- Field of Study: They must be studying computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical field.
- Academic Record: Applicants should demonstrate a strong academic record.
- Leadership: Applicants should exemplify leadership and demonstrate passion for improving the representation of underrepresented groups in computer science and technology.
- Commitment to Diversity: The scholarship will be awarded based on the strength of each candidate’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
To apply for the Google Women Techmakers Scholarship, you need to prepare the following documents:
- General background information
- Academic transcripts
- Updated resume
- Letter of recommendation from an instructor, advisor, professor, or a supervisor
- Coding competition proofs (if any)
Please make sure to check the official Google Women Techmakers Scholarship page for any updates or additional requirements. Good luck with your application!
How To Apply
To apply for the Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of the Women Techmakers⁵.
- Click on the WTMSP applications for the academic year you are applying for.
- Fill out the online application form. The form will ask for general details about your background like contact details, intended institutions, etc.
- Attach your current resume with the application form.
The application process may vary slightly each year, so it’s important to check the official website for the most accurate and up-to-date information. Good luck with your application!
The selection process for the Google Women Techmakers Scholarship is as follows:
- Submission of Application: After successful submission of the application form, it is verified by Google³.
- Shortlisting of Candidates: A selection panel at Google shortlists candidates based on academic excellence records, leadership qualities, passion, and commitment toward technology.
- Evaluation of Application: The scholars will be evaluated by a committee and selected from the applicant pool for under graduation master’s program based on the quality and strength of their application forms.
Please note that the selection for the scholarship will also be based on the responses to the essay questions. Good luck with your application!
Google Women Techmakers Scholarship vs Anita Borg scholarship
The Google Women Techmakers Scholarship and the Anita Borg Scholarship are essentially the same. The Google Women Techmakers Scholarship was formerly known as the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship.
This scholarship program was renamed to further Dr. Anita Borg’s vision of creating gender equality in the fields of science and technology. It aims to encourage and provide more opportunities to women, supporting them to excel in computing and technology and become active leaders and role models in the field.
So, there is no difference between the two, it’s just a change of name. The scholarship continues to uphold the same values and goals as envisioned by Dr. Anita Borg
Google Women Techmakers Scholarship serves as a beacon for aspiring women in technology, providing not just financial support but also a platform to network, learn, and collaborate. By honoring the legacy of Dr. Anita Borg, this scholarship stands as a testament to Google’s commitment to fostering gender equality and leadership roles in the ever-evolving field of technology. As it continues to evolve and expand its reach, the Women Techmakers Scholarship remains a pivotal force in driving positive change and breaking barriers for women in tech.