Japan is home to some of the world’s most prestigious universities, and international students are drawn to its tuition rates and diverse opportunities. Many scholarships are available for international students, and these awards can make a huge difference in the cost of tuition. Here is a list of some of the most popular scholarships for international students in Japan.
Top scholarships for studying abroad in Japan
1. ADB-Japan Scholarship Program
The ADB-Japan Scholarship Program has got you covered! This program offers several scholarships for students who are interested in studying in Japan. You can study any subject that you want, and the program is open to students from all around the world. So what are you waiting for? Apply today and start your journey to Japan!
- full tuition fees
- monthly subsistence allowance (including housing)
- books and instructional materials
- medical insurance
- travel expenses
- More Details
2. The Bridging Scholarship in Japan FALL – 2022
Are you interested in studying in Japan but don’t know how to finance your trip? The United States-Japan Bridging Foundation has got you covered! Through their scholarships program, the Foundation can help finance your study-abroad program in Japan, making it easier for you to make the jump and experience the country firsthand. With so many fascinating cultures and opportunities on offer, why not start your journey by applying today?
Congratulations to the Spring Bridging Scholars! This year’s scholars have shown outstanding dedication and commitment to their studies, and we are proud to award them with our prestigious scholarships. The Fall Bridging Scholarships are now open, and we would like to invite all eligible students to apply.
The deadline to submit completed applications is May 1, 2022. Award finalists will be announced around June 15, 2022. We hope that you will apply and show your support for the Bridging Scholars!
how much cost?
- Academic-year scholarships consist of a $4,500 cash stipend;
- semester scholarships consist of a $2,500 cash stipend.
- Awardees are required to attend a pre-program orientation by Zoom prior to departure,
- write a thank you letter to the scholarship donor, and submit progress reports with photos to the Bridging Foundation.
How to Apply?
Applications for Bridging Scholarships for study in Japan beginning in Fall 2022 should be submitted to AATJ by the deadline of May 1, 2022.
Whether submitted electronically on paper, your application should include the following:
- An application form.
- A short essay (up to 500 words) introducing yourself, explaining your interest in studying in Japan, and outlining what you hope to achieve by participating in a study abroad program.
- A transcript from your college or university.
- A letter of recommendation from someone who knows you and is knowledgeable about your abilities and potential, preferably a professor or instructor in your major field. (This may either be submitted together with the application or mailed/emailed separately to the AATJ office; it must be received by the application deadline date in order for your application to be considered.)PLEASE NOTE: The application deadline is NOT a postmark deadline; your application materials should be received by October 16, whether they are submitted online or in paper form.
3. Tanaka green scholarship- 2022
Tanaka and Green Academic Scholarships to support short-term academic study (one semester or one academic year) at colleges and universities in Japan. The scholarships are made possible thanks to the generous donations of our donors. If you are interested in studying in Japan for a semester or academic year, please see the scholarship website for more information and to apply.
Recipients for 2021-2022
Congratulations to the 2021-22 recipients of the Tanaka & Green Scholarship!
- Franchesca Johnson – The College of William and Mary (Keio University)
- Lauryn Mcmeans – Randolph-Macon College (Kansai Gaidai University)
- Mina Mori – University of Virginia (Hitotsubashi University)
how much cost?
- The Society will give up to $5,000 for one academic year and up to $4,000 for one academic semester for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- The scholarship may be used for any combination of tuition and other academic fees, room and board, travel and transportation (including travel within Japan), and other approved expenses.
Requirements for Applicants
- Must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or graduate school in the United States
- Must give proof of acceptance at a college or university in Japan as a full-time foreign exchange student for either one semester or one academic year
- Must give proof that the program in Japan is an approved student exchange program of the applicant’s home college or university in the US
- Must intend to return to the college or university in the United States
- Maybe majors in any subject, but must demonstrate that they have taken or plan to take academic courses related to Japan, whether in the US or at a Japanese college or university
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- official site for applying:https://jaswdc.org/tanaka-green-scholarship/
The Fund for Education Abroad Foundation for Global Scholars Scholarship is your chance to do just that. This scholarship program provides students with the opportunity to study abroad for an entire year and helps them develop critical life skills. With so much at stake, this scholarship is your chance to make a real difference in the lives of some of the most promising young people on earth. Don’t miss your chance to be a part of something special!
- Studies are available in a range of amounts, from a minimum award of $1,250 USD for summer study;
- $5,000 USD for one semester or quarter;
- and up to $10,000 USD for an academic year.
- Applications are closed for the 2021-2022 academic year
- So whether you’re looking for a small grant to help cover tuition costs or a major award to help you pay for your entire degree,
- Aichi Scholarship Program for Asian Students in Japan
- Japan-IMF Scholarships Program for ASIA
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships for International Research Students
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- Keio University “Design the Future” Award for International Students
- KUT Ph.D. Engineering Scholarships for International Students
- Master’s Degree ABE Initiative
- MEXT Scholarship Program – Japan
- Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation
- University of Tokyo Special Scholarship for International Students
Universities in Tokyo offering international scholarships: