In the ever-evolving global landscape, education is a powerful tool that can transform lives and uplift communities. Recognizing this, numerous organizations worldwide offer international scholarships specifically for South African students. These scholarships aim to foster intellectual growth, broaden horizons, and cultivate future leaders. From undergraduate to postgraduate studies across various fields, these scholarships provide South African students with invaluable opportunities to study in prestigious institutions around the world, thereby gaining exposure to diverse cultures and innovative ideas.
There are several international scholarships available for South African students. Here are some of them:
- Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET): They coordinate several scholarships for South African students to undertake studies, research, and exchanges in other countries.
- ScholarshipTab: They provide ongoing scholarships in South Africa for International Students from 2024-2025. Some of these scholarships are fully funded while some are partially funded for both postgraduates and undergraduates².
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program South Africa: This is a scholarship program for South African students.
- Full Sail Global Achievement Scholarship: This is another scholarship opportunity for South African students.
- NAC South Africa International Bursary: This is a bursary program for South African students.
- UC Berkeley Mastercard Foundation Scholarship: This is a scholarship program provided by the UC Berkeley Mastercard Foundation.
Are there any scholarships specifically for women in South Africa?
Yes, there are several scholarships specifically for women in South Africa. Here are some of them:
- VC4A Venture Showcase Latam: This is for innovative ventures. The deadline is December 17, 2023.
- VIB International Plant Biotechnology Outreach Open Doors Fellowship Program: This program targets women researchers in Africa. The deadline is January 31, 2024.
- Standard Bank Basali Development Programme: This is a business development journey with female entrepreneurs. The deadline is November 30, 2023¹.
- MPOWER Financing Women in STEM Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded annually to female international/DACA students who are currently enrolled or accepted to study full-time in a STEM degree program at a program MPOWER supports in the United States or Canada. The deadline is January 15, 2024.
- AAUW International Fellowships for Women: This program provides support for women pursuing full-time graduate or postdoctoral study in the United States to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and who intend to return to their home country to pursue a professional career. The deadline is November 15, 2023¹.
- Schlumberger Foundation Faculty for the Future Fellowships for Women in STEM: This program awards fellowships to women from developing and emerging economies to pursue Ph.D. or Post-doctoral research in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields at leading universities worldwide. The deadline is November 10, 2023¹.
What are some of the benefits of international scholarships?
International scholarships offer a multitude of benefits for students, particularly those from South Africa. Here are some of them:
- Global Exposure: Studying abroad provides students with the opportunity to experience different cultures, languages, and perspectives, enriching their worldview and fostering global citizenship.
- Academic Excellence: International scholarships often involve studying at prestigious institutions, allowing students to benefit from high-quality education and state-of-the-art resources.
- Professional Development: International exposure and academic excellence often lead to better career opportunities and professional growth.
- Networking: Studying abroad can help students build a global network of contacts, which can be beneficial for their future career or academic pursuits.
- Personal Growth: Living and studying in a foreign country fosters independence, adaptability, and resilience, contributing to personal development.
- Financial Support: International scholarships often cover tuition fees, living expenses, and sometimes travel costs, reducing the financial burden on students and their families.